MACKronyms is a culmination of two dope, prolific writers, lyricists & artists with perseverance, drive and raw talent – Chilly Palmer and Racci. In an exclusive interview with Jamsphere, the two artists dropped their thoughts, ideas and work ethic.
- How long have you been in the music business and how did you get started in the first place?
MACKronyms: We’ve been in it long enough to know it’s our time.
- Who were your first musical influences that you can remember?
MACKronyms: Run DMC, Beastie Boys, Rakim and The Ohio Players, Michael Jackson.
- Which artists are you currently listening to? And is there anyone of these that you’d like to collaborate with?
Chilly Palmer: A$AP Rocky, Kendrick Lamar, Too Short, Dru Down, Racci.
Racci: Kendrick Lamar, 2PAC, KRS-One, Chilly Palmer
- Have you suffered any ‘resistance’ from within the industry, and if so how have you handled that, and how do you handle criticism and naysayers in general?
MACKronyms: Everyone has their own opinion, The Naysayers are strictly the ones who aren’t doing anything productive and for a cause. “Resistance” is a part of Life. The only way you deal with that is Play Your Hand that God dealt and you shall be victorious every time.
- What are your thoughts on visual media and Youtube? Do think that video is an appropriate marketing tool for your music, and do you currently have visual media for fans to see?
MACKronyms: Very Important. It’s a priceless tool to gain fans and followers of your art & craft world-wide. We have snippets of studio sessions and interviews at the moment; our official video is in the making as we speak.
- Which do you ultimately prefer? Entertaining a live audience or creating songs in a studio setting?
MACKronyms: Both, they are one in the same for us. We literally have the vision of rocking a crowd while spitting dope lyrics over #TrunkKillaMusic beats while in the studio.
- Essentially how do you produce your sound? Is it loops, samples and software based beats or do you also work with real live instruments?
MACKronyms: Racci – I produce everything organically. I hear the sounds in my head and the rhythms in my heart. I don’t use loops, or anything computer generated. Roland Fantom X6 – Audio Track Expansion is my go to girl for creating my unique sound.
8. How did you get or choose the name MACKronyms?
MACKronyms: Chilly Palmer – Racci has a gift of foresight. He wanted us to have a name and a brand that no-one has tapped into. We all know what an acronym is, so we’ve added our MACKing skills over banging hot beats and dope American poetry.
- Which ingredient do you think makes you special and unique as a performing artist in a genre thriving with newcomers and wannabes?
MACKronyms: ½ cup Originality, ½ cup Organic
- If you were forced to choose only one, which emotion, more than any other drives you to be a part of this tough business. Is it joy, anger, desire, passion or pride and why?
MACKronyms: Passion, it’s the strongest emotion and it never dies down when you want something bad enough.
- Which aspect of being an independent artist and the music making process excites you most and which aspect discourages you most?
MACKronyms: The song writing & music production excites us most. Sometimes scheduling a recording session can be discouraging; everybody isn’t always on the same time wave.
- How do you market and manage your music career? Do you have a management team or do you control everything by yourself?
MACKronyms: Racci – Guerilla Marketing tactics serve us best; literally functioning with the people on the streets of the streets and in the streets from all walks of life. 4PACK ENT. is the team.
- How do you achieve your great sound? Do you work exclusively a private home recording environment or do you use a commercial sound studio too?
Chilly Palmer: I believe in my producer slash splash brother of rhyme
Racci. Give him a bottle of Shou Wu Chi and sit back and watch greatness take place right before your very eyes. The proof is in the pudding, we’ve recorded, we’ve mastered our product and now we’re mass duplicating.
- The best piece of advice in this business you actually followed so far, and one you didn’t follow, but now know for sure that you should have?
MACKronyms: Be careful who you talk to. We didn’t follow the drugs. Music is our drug, which goes back to “be careful who you talk to.”
- Gives us your personal shortlist of hip hop’s 3 greatest producers – living or dead – that you would have loved to have worked with?
MACKronyms: Pharrell, Timbaland, Dr. Dre
- Do you consider Internet and all the social media websites, as fundamental to your career, and indie music in general, or do you think it has only produced a mass of mediocre “copy-and-paste” artists, who flood the web, making it difficult for real talent to emerge?
Chilly Palmer: Yes Sir. You hit the nail right on the head.
Racci: Anybody can rap but everyone can’t write.
- If someone has never heard your music, which 3 keywords would you personally use to describe your overall sound and style?
MACKronyms: Dope, Futuristic and Powerful.
- Straight off the top of your head, how would you describe the current state of Hip-hop?
Chilly Palmer: Besides a few innovators in the music game a lot of what’s going on is absolute garbage. It looks like somebody forgot to take out the trash and that’s a job for us.
Racci: (Remember the movie “Men at Work with Charlie Sheen and Brother Emilio Estevez?) O Yea! That’s Us.
- As you work your way through your career, which more than any other fires-up your imagination – A Grammy award, Platinum music sales or some other tangible milestone?
MACKronyms: Racci – A Grammy Award, off top.
- What is the ONE thing you are NOT willing or prepared to do EVER, in your quest to achieve a successful musical career?
MACKronyms: Sell our Souls.