[tweetmeme] [fbshare type=”button”] Rick Jamm’s series of 20 question interviews, kicks off with explosive Japanese rock and flamenco fusion guitarist, Katsumi Yoshihara. Let’s see if we get to to know a little more of why and how, he does what he does.
1. How long have you been doing what you’re doing and how did you get started in the first place?
KATSUMI: I have played guitar for 41 years listening to BB King on the radio from my house.
2. Who has been, or are, your musical influences?
KATSUMI: Allan Holdsworth, Jeff Beck , Paco de Lucia,Vicente Amigo
3. Put together your dream jam session band made up of your all time favourite musicians.
KATSUMI:Guitar Allan Holdsworth, Bass Jimmy Johnson, drums Dr Chad Wackerman
4. Describe your first instrument or piece of musical equipment.
KATSUMI: A Classical guitar
5. What CD is in your car stereo right now?
KATSUMI: I never listen to anything as I’m always working.
6. Which song or musical composition do you wish you had created and why?
KATSUMI: I don’t really know as I spend my time ripping up my arms and shoulders and sometimes wonder my guitar doesn’t split open. I’m confident about playing the guitar, but I so desperately want to create good work.
7. The greatest album ever, and why?
KATSUMI: Allan Holdsworth / Secrets – excellent guitar playing. Jeff Beck/ Live at Ronnie Scott’s Jazz – superb guitar playing.
8. If you were forced to pick one, which of your original compositions is your favorite?
KATSUMI: “Electric love”
9. Which ingredient do you think is most essential in making your music the way it is?
KATSUMI: The sound, the technique, the improvisation, and the blues of a guitar.
10. Does the place where you live (or places you have lived ) affect the music you create and in what ways?
KATSUMI: Where you live and think has no relation to music production.The bottom line is, the recording environment.
11. What aspect of music making excites you most?
KATSUMI: Good sound, good music, good improvisation, good balance of instruments.
12. What aspect of music making discourages you most?
KATSUMI: The poor sound balance and mixing of instruments.
13. What are your thoughts about the actual state of the music industry today?
14. The best piece of advice in this business you actually followed (and one you didn’t but should have)?
KATSUMI: To sell CD’s directly worldwide, as Japan’s economic conditions are poor.
15. At this time in your career, as an independent artist, which factor do you desire most (increased music distribution, better quality production, more media exposure etc…) and why?
KATSUMI: I want to hear from people all over the world, about their work in making music or playing the guitar. Thi way we can all better our standards.
16. How often and for how long do actually practice or exercise your talent?
KATSUMI: I do not do practice the electric guitar, because I’m always playing with my students. I do however practice the flamenco guitar.
17. Which is your favorite distribution platform ( Tunecore, Audiolife, CD Baby, your own Website, etc…) and why?
KATSUMI: Any platform may be sufficient as long as the sound is good.
18. Live gigging or studio recording, pick your first choice and why?
KATSUMI: I prefer studio recording as you can do retakes to perfect the sound. However, I am happy to play live as long as the sound production is good.
19. Analogue or Digital effects in music production. Choose one and tell us why?
KATSUMI: It is Digital effects. The clear sound is better.
20. If you were not a musician, what would you be doing today?
KATSUMI: I think I would have become a researcher.
Youre so cool! I dont suppose Ive learn anything like this before. So good to find someone with some unique ideas on this subject. realy thanks for starting this up. this web site is something thats needed on the net, someone with somewhat originality. helpful job for bringing one thing new to the internet!
I have been listening to Kat for some time. I think he is the best of the best. His music takes me to a beautiful place in my mind. All of his music is fantastic and I LOVE AS HE MENTIONED THE SONG “ELECTRIC LOVE” ♥ღ♥ He deserved much love and recognition
To win a race, the swiftness of a dart Availeth not without a timely start.
Katsumi Yohihara is The Winner His Has My Vote PROCESSION … Yes … 100 % !
strumenti musicali tastiere
Hi, this is a great post! Thanks..
The Jojo Taylor Band
No Doubt …. * Katsumi Yohihara * … Has Our Vote ! A Winner For Sure !
That was a Impressive item. I enjoyed it very much. Cassandra Kalupa
Very good, 5 stars 😉
Red X band
We think the clear winner very innovative and progressive.
Imaginative even for our own planet,it is a small world after all.
Rob of the Red X Band Clearwtaer Beach,Fl.
Katsumi’s playing is amazing. I am grateful for this interview.
KATSUMI YOSHIHARA is absolutely amazing. I could listen to his music all day long. He definitely deserves fame and fortune. I would urge everyone to tell ten friends that like guitar. Let’s get his name out in front where it deserves to be!
Thanks for doing the 20 questions! Superb.
Chuck Schaeffer Band
I love the legato that Katsumi infuses into his style and that he carefully crafts his solos to build in to an exciting frenzy. His music is intriguing and engages the listener’s interest. I am most impressed with right hand picking technique. I eagerly look forward to future releases with great anticipation and I respect and admire him as a fellow guitarist.