California teen artist WillOvid, an up and coming musician, singer, songwriter has just released his new single “Coming Home”. We caught up with him in an exclusive interview.
- How long have you been in the music business and how did you get started in the first place?
WillOvid: Well I started playing instruments when I was about 7 years old. And about 2 years ago I started really getting serious about my music and treating it as a career.
- Who were your first musical influences that you can remember?
WillOvid: AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, Neil Young and all the classic rock from that era.
- Which artists are you currently listening to? And is there anyone of these that you’d like to collaborate with?
WillOvid: The Black Keys, Led Zeppelin, Yeah Yeah Yeah’s and The Lumineers, It would be awesome to collaborate with all of them!
- Have you suffered any ‘resistance’ or skepticism from within the industry and fellow artists, and if so how have you handled that?
WillOvid: No not at all, so far everyone has been really supportive
- Do you consider video an important part in promoting and marketing your music and have you published any videos yet?
WillOvid: Yes I do and I am working on getting some videos out there right now!
- Studio recordings or performing live in front of an audience, which of these do you prefer most and why?
WillOvid: I love to perform live because it’s so much fun!
- Tell us something about your lyrics and music production on your releases. Do you write and compose them, and do you work with other writers and composers?
WillOvid: I do both. Whenever I’m inspired I compose my music. But also I collaborate with other musicians as the opportunities arise.
- What is the title of your latest releases and where can fans find it?
WillOvid: My single is called “Coming Home” and you can find it on Soundcloud.
- Which ingredient do you think makes you special and unique as a performing artist apart from your young age?
WillOvid: Well I think it just comes down to my eclectic perspective on music which gives me some interesting ideas
- If you were forced to choose only one, which emotion, more than any other drives you to stay in this tough business. Is it joy, anger, desire, passion or pride and why?
WillOvid: Passion is definitely what motivates me to push through the hardships of making music
- Which aspect of being an independent artist and the music making process excites you most and which aspect discourages you most?
WillOvid: I love collaborating with other writers and musicians to make music. But it can be time consuming.
- Do you play any instruments? If yes what are you currently using now?
WillOvid: Yes I do, I’m also a guitarist. I play a Gibson electric and an Ibanez acoustic, and I also started playing the Mandolin recently.
- How do you achieve your sound? Do you work from a home recording environment or do you use a professional sound studio?
WillOvid: Well I write my songs at home and then take them into the studio to record them.
- The best piece of advice in this business you actually followed so far, and one you didn’t follow, but now know for sure that you should have?
WillOvid: Create your own sound and be listenable! Make sure you archive all your ideas immediately no matter what, so now I grab whatever is handy, be it a phone or a pen and paper and get it saved!
- What are your thoughts on talent shows like American Idol, The Voice and the X-Factor?
WillOvid: Anyplace you can showcase your talent is a good thing!
- Do you consider Internet and all the social media websites, as fundamental to your career, and indie music in general, or do you think it has only produced a mass of mediocre “copy-and-paste” artists, who flood the web, making it difficult for real talent to emerge?
WillOvid: Yes social media is important to all artists but especially important to indie artists like myself, because it allows my music to get worldwide exposure, which is amazing. As for mediocre artists flooding the web, it just means the raw talent has to persevere by becoming a bit of a techie as well as a musician.
- How would you describe your sound and genre?
WillOvid: I would say my sound is Rock. With my genre being Modern Classic Rock
- How do you market and manage your music career? Do you have a management team or do you do everything by yourself?
WillOvid: Well right now my team is myself, my parents, my publicist and my producer. Everyone works together to get me and my music out there for everyone to enjoy!
- As you work your way through your career which more than any other fires-up your imagination – A Grammy award or Platinum music sales?
WillOvid: A Grammy award definitely!
- What is the ONE thing you are NOT willing or prepared to do EVER, in your quest to achieve a successful musical career?
WillOvid: Change who I am.