Founded in 2015, Pool Moon Elephant is a Swiss electronic music duo composed of Ivan Nurchis and Riccardo Studer, who released over 30 tracks, and continue exploring different electronic music genres. They are currently dropping their latest EP, “HIKARI PLUS” – a 5 track recording which revisits the single of the same title, featuring Japanese J-Pop singer from Tokyo, Mikuro Mika. Overall this EP is a whirlwind of musical talent and electronic bravado with just enough curveballs thrown in to make it what is. The electronic sound of today is possibly the most confusing scene to enter into.
On the one hand you have the artists who accept its chart driven limitations, they make a song, make sure it’s a banger, take the money and disappear within one summer. Others make their career on singles that follow the same repetitive pattern and get away with it, but in essence there are very few EDM artists remaining who are able to coherently create a body of music.
This is one of the many reasons why Swiss duo Pool Moon Elephant are such competent artists. In a genre where it is more than easy to lose any distinction in your sound, they are able to swim very much against the current. They don’t stagnate in their own ideas, instead they collaborate with other talented producers and artists, to inject more verve and vision into their tracks.
The “HIKARI PLUS” EP, not only takes in all of these attributes but also manages to showcase a large amount of musical progression from their previous work. Whilst fans are used to the duo’s trademark thumping basslines and crisp synths, this EP sees the pair mix things up with their collaborators by expanding and morphing their mixes alongside some captivating new sounds.
EDM lovers of all genres will find something on this EP they will like. It is infectious, catchy, and feels like one of those recordings that could be played infinitely and never get old. One thing Pool Moon Elephant have always been consistent with is the construction of their songs.
They are masterful at building their tracks up by using impeccable chord progressions. Midnight Sun is one of the electro tracks that exemplifies the duo’s song writing talent with its smooth and melodic vibes that will force you to get off your ass and dance.
It’s those brilliant chord progressions which makes mixing this track such a breeze for the producers on board. Pool Moon Elephant have demonstrated their production mastery in all of their work so far, and this song more than any other reminds the listener that they are also impressive songwriters. Everything is perfectly in place, and it feels genuinely exciting as the remixers step up to the plate:
- “Hikari Sun (feat. Mikuro Mika) [Lorenzo Molinari Remix]” – The first track is a collaboration with French DJ and producer Lorenzo Molinari – winner of a multitude of remix contests and longtime friend with the PME duo, Lorenzo Molinari, who gives the track a house atmosphere with jazzy shades.
- “Hikari Sun (feat. Mikuro Mika) [Ken Aihara Remix]” – The second track is a remix by the Japanese composer and keyboard player Ken Aihara, longtime New York resident with a classical and jazz background.
- “Hikari in the Rain” – The third track is “Hikari in the Rain”, an electronic minimal tune inspired by a misty day at Lake Chūzenji at the Nikko National Park, Tochigi Prefecture, during Pool Moon Elephant’s trip around Japan.
- “Hikari Sun (feat. Mikuro Mika) [Synapse Remix]” – The fourth track is a collaboration with Tokyo producer Kenichi Uezato aka Synapse who remixed it into a deep house tune.
- “Hikari Sun (Instrumental mix)” – The fifth track is an instrumental version of the single “Hikari Sun”.
Their new EP, “HIKARI PLUS”, is a five track rollercoaster ride full of convulsing beats and sweet melodies; even if you aren’t a massive fan of this type of music generally, it’s hard not to have your attention grasped by Pool Moon Elephant and their collaborators here. This EP is a great little package of music; a perfect collection to get anybody pumped up for an electrifying night out.
You’ll enjoy and appreciate producers who know their away around their craft and are able to remain innovative and unique amid all the other button pushers whose demographic is predominantly pill-dropping festival heads who can’t distinguish between the good stuff and the posers. Pool Moon Elephant shows us how to go from being better, to being the best!
OFFICIAL LINKS: WEBSITE – FACEBOOK – TWITTER – INSTAGRAM – YOUTUBE
WiLLiS – “Loco” unravels the story of an enamored heart
BooGotti – “First Chapter” – Breaking Ground and Setting the Bar!
Fatih Akyol – ‘Balenciaga’ navigates the sonic landscape with precision and finesse!