There are no ads, please add some
Rick Jamm corners Madison Rose in his latest “Twenty Questions” series of interviews. The beautiful 18 year old singer/songwriter is poised to rock the world with her debut album “AFTERSHOCK.” Madison wrote and produced the album with her brother and musical partner Justyn-The Stuntman, and the legendary guitarist Gary Hoey. Madison’s first single, “TEENAGE RUNAWAY” ( also to be found on the upcoming début album), was nominated for BEST POP SONG OF 2011 by the HOLLYWOOD MUSIC IN MEDIA AWARDS. She has just released her latest single “OVER YOU” which is available on iTunes , Amazon and CDBaby. Here’s what Madison Rose told us in this exclusive interview.
1. How long have you been doing what you’re doing and how did you get started in the first place?
M ROSE: Well, I have been playing music ever since I was 13 when my brother took me to my first concert, which was a Def Leppard concert. I’ll never forget it. I fell in love with Rock music that very night. That show inspired me so much, I went home and wrote my very first song, and I haven’t stopped writing since.
2. Who has been, or are, your major musical influences?
M ROSE: Def Leppard, of course, Van Halen, Stevie Nicks, The Beatles. Those are all classic musicians that continue to inspire me everyday.
3. How do you handle criticism and who is your biggest critic?
M ROSE: I can certainly take constructive criticism, we all need that so we can grow and better ourselves. The mean criticism on the Internet is hard for me to read. I just try to filter that out, and just look at the postive feedback I get. My fans are so amazing, and so sweet, I love reading their posts everyday!! I think my biggest critic is myself. I am very much a perfectionist. In the Studio, and on stage. I try my very best to get my vision across the best way, all the time.
4. As a young and upcoming artist, what are your thoughts on talent shows like American Idol or The X Factor?
M ROSE: They are great for certain singers, they really help give exposure, and a bit of experience to these singers that might not ever make it out of their small towns. I think it provides wonderful opportunites to those singers.
5. Which song is playing in your iPod right now?
M ROSE: A song called, Real Hero by College. That song is amazing. It has such an atmosphere. I love it!!!
6. Which famous song or musical composition do you wish you had written and why?
M ROSE: Wow!! This is a tough question. Of course there are so many songs out there, but I will have to go with Landslide by Stevie Nicks. That song to me is just so beautiful beyond belief. That song really helped influence the sound of my song, Teenage Runaway. Stevie really inspires me as a songwriter:)
7. What do you consider to be the greatest album you have heard up until now and what do you think makes it so great?
M ROSE: The White Album. It is the best album ever! Because it is the Beatles and they are genius.
8. If you were forced to pick one, which of your original compositions is your favorite?
M ROSE: Of course my new single, Over You available on Itunes, and Amazon.com I do love that song, and I wrote a song that is dedicated to all the Bad Boys out there. That is probably my favorite song to play live, Bad Boy.
9. Which ingredient do you think is most essential in making your music the way it is?
M ROSE: There are a lot of things that make my songs and my sound unique. For one, I write all my own lyrics, and I always write from the heart. So all my songs are very special to me. I love writing with my brother Justyn-The Stuntman, we work well together and we share the same love for classic rock music so that influences our writing style.
10. Tell us something about your songwriting /music producing process?
M ROSE: For me, my songs are always built through the lyrics first. I love having a great lyrical foundation before I move on to writing music. These are my stories, this is my life, and to me the music should fit the lyrics, not the other way around. I’m also very private when it comes to songwriting. I don’t usually let anyone in on my songs until I feel that they’re completely ready to have music put to it. Because they are so personal to me, it feels like i’m revealing a part of myself through each song.
11. What aspect of the music making process excites you most?
M ROSE: I just love it when you get to hear your finished song for the first time. It is really amazing to see a song grow from just some sketched out lyrics to a real rock song! It is amazing, it get goose bumps.
12. What aspect of the music making process discourages you most?
M ROSE: Probably getting negative feedback on my songs. I work so hard on my music and each song, as I said, is very close to my heart. So when someone insults my music, I kinda take it personally. But I try to not let that discourage me, I just keep writing my music.
13. What are the pros and cons of working with your brother Justyn, and how much influence does he have on your career?
M ROSE: There are only pros! I love working with my brother. We are like best friends. The best thing about working with him is that he always knows what I want for my music, and he always listens to me.
14. The best piece of advice in this business you actually followed so far (and one you didn’t, but know should have)?
M ROSE: A lot of people have just told me to stay true to who I am, no matter what. And that’s what I plan to do. I have met so many people in hollywood that have let the industry change them…and not in a good way. I really just want to be able to be myself. That is my plan.
15. At this time in your career, which factor do you desire most (increased music distribution, better quality production, more media exposure, more live appearance etc…) ?
M ROSE: Definetely Live Appearences. Playing live is my favorite thing in the whole world to do. There is nothing like it. On stage is where I feel my songs really come alive.
16. How often and for how long do you actually practice or exercise your singing talent?
M ROSE: We usually have band practice four times a week, for about four hours. When I am not with the band, I am practicing and singing at home as well everyday. Music is my life!!
17. How did you get to know guitarist Gary Hoey, and what is your working relationship with him?
M ROSE: I met Gary after playing a show in LA. We talked for a while after the show, then we got together just to jam. He was really one of the first people to get my vision, and to understand the sound I was going for. He listened to me, and my crazy ideas. We really clicked. He invited us to go up to Pelham, New Hampshire to record at his studio, which was in he middle of the woods, in the middle of nowhere. It was quite an amazing experience, I’ll never forget it. Justyn and I had a great time working with Gary on this album.
18. Your debut single “Teenage Runaway” was nominated for “Best Pop Song Of 2011” by the Hollywood Music In Media Awards. What are you expecting from your new single release – “Over You”?
M ROSE: I am just hoping my fans like it, and I think they do!! I have gotten so much wonderful positve feedback on ‘Over You’ I am so happy!!! Everything else (like award nominations etc.) are just icing on the cake for me.
19. With all the Lady Gaga’s, Katy Perry’s and Rihanna’s currently abounding in the music world, How does a 18 year old girl become a rock n’ roll singer?
M ROSE: All three of these artists you mentioned have their own unique sound, i too have my own sound and I think I have a place in the music world today. I am just trying to be myself, not imitate other artists. I want to write and record the kind of music I love. Don’t judge me just by my blond hair and cute smile;) I can Rock too!!!
20. Is going platinum or winning a Grammy important to you, and where do you see your career 5 years from now?
M ROSE: Yes it is very important to me. I think the idea of winning a Grammy, and going platinium excites any artist. To be honest though the most satisfaction comes from inspiring others. If I can inspire people like my favorite artists have inspired me, then I have done what I set out to do. I hope to see myself doing all of these things 5 years from now.
Place Your Banner Here!