Tiffin, Ohio rapper, Joshua Dunn has been on a roll recently. The Konspiracy Entertainment LLC artist first dropped the single “I Do This” ft Menacide during August, and has now followed up with an appearance on the track “Playa Mane”, also featuring C Jay Dinero.
- How long have you been in the music business and how did you get started in the first place?
JOSHUA DUNN: My journey in music began in 2002 through a friend who was creating. I hung around where they worked and tossed ideas around until they pressured me to start making my own music.
- Who were your first and strongest musical influences that you can remember?
JOSHUA DUNN: I have always been my own largest influence but I drew inspiration from larger scale regional acts such as: Bone Thugs N Harmony, Twista, Do or Die, Insane Clown Posse among others.
- Which artists and producers are you currently listening to? And is there anyone of these that you’d like to collaborate with?
JOSHUA DUNN: I am really fond of the producers, so I think my dream collab would be Teddy Riley or Traxster. From an artist stand point though, I would love to work with Tech N9ne or Bone Thugs. I listen to a ton of music and right now I have my guy Rozz Dyliams catalogue on repeat.
- What do you feel are the key elements people should be getting out of your music?
JOSHUA DUNN: I think that people should be open to interpret things in their own way. I don’t like to force or push messages on my listeners, but merely create situations to let them form their own judgements!
- What do you think separates you from the crowd of emcees emerging right now?
JOSHUA DUNN: To be frank, I think me embracing my own creativity is what makes me stand out. I try to work as hard as possible to engage, but at the same time I also stand firm on delivering the most ME as possible and it’s sticking!
- Do you currently have a preferred song in your catalog, and why is it special to you?
JOSHUA DUNN: “Shovel”. This song is very important to me because the chorus samples vocals of my deceased close friend and business partner, Mr. Rage. It is a mission of mine to keep his legacy alive and breathing!
- Are your lyrics predominantly based on real events and personal experiences, or are they drawn from your creative storytelling skills?
JOSHUA DUNN: I do a mixture of both. I have always been drawn to darker content so some of my music is story telling but I do also deliver a more traditional style that sheds light on my personal history and thoughts.
- What would you consider a successful or high point in your career so far?
JOSHUA DUNN: Selling out a venue in my hometown was cool. It felt great to be in the middle of such overwhelming energy and support. Other than that, I would say “20 Questions w/ Rick Jamm!” You’re the man.
- What has been the most difficult thing you’ve had to endure in your life or music so far?
JOSHUA DUNN: I was raised in a single parent household and endured a large amount of legal troubles as a teenager. I would say the most difficult thing I have endured is training my brain to think differently to be a productive person.
- What key ingredients do you always try and infuse into your music, regardless of style or tempo?
JOSHUA DUNN: My lingo! I create my own slang and twist on language in general that carries through my music.
- Do you also produce the musical soundscapes if necessary or do you just handle the lyrics on your songs?
JOSHUA DUNN: Yes sir, I also produce. Although most of my commercial projects were handled by other producers, I myself very much enjoy composing music for myself, and other artists as well.
- Which aspect of being an independent artist and the music making process excites you most and which aspect discourages you most?
JOSHUA DUNN: I don’t really get discouraged. I enjoy being independent and creating. There is something about the chase that makes my heart race, and it’s a very integral part of my life. Music has made me a better person because of this hunger. I honestly believe that without creative arts that I would be in prison.
- How do you market and manage your music career? Do you have a management team or do you control everything by yourself?
JOSHUA DUNN: A few years ago I founded my own company, Konspiracy Entertainment. We do all the work on our own, and outsource for services if necessary.
- If you had the opportunity to change one thing about how the music business works right now, what would that be?
JOSHUA DUNN: I wouldn’t really change much other than the streaming pay outs. Everything else is out of my hands, and all I can do is focus on making every minute count and try to engage as organically as possible.
- If someone has never heard your music, which keywords would you personally use to describe your overall sound and style?
JOSHUA DUNN: WORTHWHILE. I am very open about fan appreciation and allowing people to form their own judgements. One thing that I know is this; whether you enjoy what I create, or it’s not for you, I can provide insights to broaden your thought!
- Do you consider Internet and all the social media websites as fundamental in building a career in music today, and what is your personal relationship with the new technology at hand?
JOSHUA DUNN: I love technology. It has allowed me to garner and develop relationships with fans all over the world. It has been very fundamental in the launch of my career.
- Tell us something about your latest releases, what is it called and where fans can find it.
JOSHUA DUNN: My latest release is the Rob People produced single, “I Do This” ft Menacide. You can check it out at any digital retailer, or direct at my website www.DoYouFWithJosh.com ! I also have a new video that will be released on my site exclusively on September 12th, which is also my Birthday!
- How do you search, discover and choose the features, sometimes performing on your tracks?
JOSHUA DUNN: To be honest Rick, I really don’t. I just kind of go with the flow. If I hear it then I make it happen. I am very open with my creative process and non-restrictive.
- What is your relationship with visual media? Do you have any videos ready-to-go, for fans to checkout?
JOSHUA DUNN: I love visual media. I have been doing photo shoots and videos for artists for the last few years as a service that I provide through my company, but I am just now venturing in front of the camera. Look out for my collaboration with C. Jay Dinero “Playa Mane”, and my new visual for “Shovel” as well. Both were directed by Forbez Media.
- What’s next on the upcoming agenda for JOSHUA DUNN?
JOSHUA DUNN: Stay humble and work hard. I have a few different projects that I am working on including my new album “The Book of Joshua” that is looking like will be a large launching pad for me. Jump into my world by following @joshuapdunn on all Social Media outlets. Thank you for shooting the breeze with me, Rick! It’s been a pleasure.