As an emerging artist, Robert Hicks, better known as Angelic Siren, is ready to take over the R&B scene. A native from New York City, Angelic Siren educated himself when it came to music and songwriting. Some of Angelic’s other attributes include professional dancing, modeling, as well as other business projects. In the near future Angelic Siren will be starting his own business and creating his own clothing line for the young, hip men in the New York social scene. His passion for music started at age four, and at one of his previous high schools, Angelic Siren performed his first solo debut, which started his music career. The main purpose for music in Angelic’s life involved releasing stress – both mentally, and emotionally.
- How long have you been in the music business and how did you get started in the first place?
Angelic Siren: I’ve been in the music industry for3years.I actually started writing for friends, and friend of friends.
- Who were your first musical influences that you can remember?
Angelic Siren: My music influences are Joan Sutherland voice was the first voice I was ever heard.
- Which artists are you currently listening to?
Angelic Siren: Jhene Aiko, Miguel, India Arie, Musiq soulchild.
- Where does the moniker “Angelic Siren” come from?
Angelic Siren: Well the world angelic came from friends saying I have a very Angelic voice, and Siren came from the fact that I feel like all singers are Sirens that draw people in with our voices.
- The moment you wake in the morning, do you feel like a model or a singer?
Angelic Siren: When I wake up in the morning, I start making up a song singing out loud in my room.
- Which do you ultimately prefer? Entertaining a live audience or creating songs in a studio setting?
Angelic Siren: Entertaining a live audience the feeling you get after you perform and you see how you made a difference in someone’s life. Just Beautiful!!!
- Songwriting, music production and performance, which of these do you handle on your recordings and which do you outsource?
Angelic Siren: Songwriting and performing I myself handle, and I like to outsource for my music production.
8. What is your latest single or album release and where can fans find it?
Angelic Siren: My latest single is “Fallen Angel” You can find it on Itunes, Tidal, Spotify, Apple music, and several other music streaming apps.
- How did you become involved in modeling?
Angelic Siren: I started modeling at 14 for an agency called Stanley Kaplan, because my mom saw my potential and wanted me to pursue modeling and see if it’s for me.
- If you were forced to choose only one, which emotion, more than any other drives you to be a part of this tough business. Is it joy, anger, desire, passion or pride and why?
Angelic Siren: Wow! If I had to choose one its passion, because music is a part of my soul and the passion I have to heal people through my music.
- Which aspect of being an independent artist and the music making process excites you most and which aspect discourages you most?
Angelic Siren: The aspect that excites me is I have full control over my music. I personally don’t allow anything to discourage me because being a performer is what I want to be. I won’t allow anything negative discourage me from performing or recording.
- How do you market and manage your music career? Do you have a management team or do you control everything by yourself?
Angelic Siren: I have a team behind me that believes in where I am trying to go with my music, and they believe in me so I trust every decision they make.
- How do you achieve your sound currently? Do you work exclusively a private home recording environment or do you use a commercial sound studio too?
Angelic Siren: At the current moment I am using a commercial sound studio, but I am building my own personal home recording studio to save money.
- The best piece of advice in this business you actually followed so far, and one you didn’t follow, but now know for sure that you should have?
Angelic Siren: The best I was offered was not to allow anyone to dictate the way I want to go with my music.
- What are your thoughts on talent shows like The X-Factor and American Idol? Do you think they are a viable source of real talent and a good career choice for upcoming musicians?
Angelic Siren: I think that those shows are great was to gain exposure. However I feel every vocal instrument is different and some people need time to be developed, and I feel that those shows focus more on the artist that has already been developed instead of developing them.
- Do you consider Internet and all the social media websites, as fundamental to your career, and independent music in general?
Angelic Siren: Yes, I feel that independent artist need the social media websites they help build your fan base.
- If someone has never heard your music, which keywords would you personally use to describe your overall sound and style?
Angelic Siren: Soulistic, Mind-blowing, casual, uplifting.
- If you were given the chance to be an international superstar, but on the condition that you only chose one artistic direction. What would that choice be between being a Model, Dancer or Singer and why?
Angelic Siren: Singer all the way, because that’s all I ever think about is singing music all day, every day.
- As you work your way through your career, which more than any other fires-up your imagination – A Grammy Award, Platinum music sales or some other tangible milestone?
Angelic Siren: The one thing that fires up my imagination is another tangible milestone, like a fan saying how my music touches them. That would make me feel like a king.
- What is the ONE thing you are NOT willing or prepared to do EVER, in your quest to achieve a successful musical career?
Angelic Siren: I don’t want to become I singer whose image is all about sex. I want people to heal from whatever it is they are going through when listening to my music.