CaLiCo is an American Hip Hop artist from the Tampa bay area in Florida. CaLiCo was railroaded by a failed education system and stumbled into the hands of the law. Through those experiences, he leaped beyond the negative and redefined himself. CaLiCo started rapping at the age of 16. He is driven to provide hope to his peers and the youths of downtrodden neighborhoods with his words and actions. Influenced by his kids, Khalid Muhammad and artists such as Tupac and Nas, CaLiCo tells his story through his lyrical expressions. GIG Music Group recently were proud to announce the release of CaLiCo’s debut single, “Bounce.” The track is a creatively crafted single redefining inspiration. CaLiCo derives his inspiration from some of his personal experiences, and two of his genre’s greats, 2Pac and Nas. The single was released on 25th of January.
- How long have you been in the music business and how did you get started in the first place?
CaLiCo: since 16, nonstop. In the ghetto after sports it’s seems there’s no way out besides rap. So chasing millions brought me to this sport.
- Who were your first and strongest musical influences that you can remember?
CaLiCo: Michael Jackson, Who’s Bad
- Which artists are you currently listening to? And is there anyone of these that you’d like to collaborate with?
CaLiCo: I like Travis Scott because he’s different
- Where does the moniker CaLiCo come from?
CaLiCo: I spit fire. Calico is a gun.
- What do you think separates you from the crowd of emcees emerging right now?
CaLiCo: I emulate No other. While they emulate each other
- You also say you are influenced by your kids. In what way does this happen through your music?
CaLiCo: It motivates me to discretion what I say, because they’re repeating every word
- How much of living in the Tampa Bay area comes into your style and sound?
CaLiCo: A lot. I feel the Bay area gave me my dynamic style
- What would you consider a successful or high point in your career so far?
CaLiCo : Billboard’s top 100
- Tell us something about your lyrics and music production on your releases. Which part of these processes do you handle yourself, and which do you outsource generally?
CaLiCo: No outsource. Everything is Calico’s
- What do you feel your listeners should get out of your music?
CaLiCo: Heart, Soul. Sometimes Culture.
- What has been the most difficult thing you’ve had to endure in your life or music so far?
- Which aspect of being an independent artist and the music making process excites you most and which aspect discourages you most?
CaLiCo: The freedom to create freely without an overhead, but what’s discouraging is a lot of other ppl have that crab in the bucket mentality.
- If you had the opportunity to change one thing about the music business, what would that be?
CaLiCo: That rappers would have to be artist not just trash talkers.
- When you write, are your lyrics inspired more by real life experiences or do you draw from imaginary situations?
CaLiCo: All real life, but the magic is having everyone imagine what you’re saying
- If someone has never heard your music, which keywords would you personally use to describe your overall sound and style?
CaLiCo: Rock & Soul
- Do you consider Internet and all the social media websites as fundamental in building a career in music today, and what is your personal relationship with the new technology at hand?
CaLiCo: Yes the internet is awesome for reaching fans Nationwide or even globally it’s really mandatory to have every major website at your disposal
- Tell us something about your debut release “Bounce” and where fans can find it.
- What is your relation with visual media and YouTube etc. Should fans expect videos of your releases?
CaLiCo: Yes the video for bounce to be out very soon and many more
- If you were stuck on a desert island, which 3 artist’s music would you choose to accompany your stay there?
CaLiCo: Tupac, Trick Daddy, Mystikal
- Do you have a motto or positive message stuck somewhere in your mind to inspire yourself, or anybody else, at any given time? If so, what would it be?
CaLiCo: Man wasn’t made for work, work was made for man. So on that note let’s all be bosses.
The single is “Bounce” is currently released on all major streaming platforms, and is available for purchase on all major music online retailers such as iTunes, Amazon, Google Play, Tidal, and on his official website. www.IamCaLiCo.com