Now Hussein is a producer, rapper and songwriter from Newark, USA. He has released a series of singles and mixtapes, of which the 10 track, “Im Not Dead” has been gaining exposure on Datpiff.
- How long have you been in the music business and how did you get started in the first place?
Now Hussein: since I been involved with music in one way or another since I was about 12 years old. I got started by being a hype man for my step brother who at the time had a record deal and was touring with a local crew called the chill town ruffians. Soon after I decided that I wanted to be an artist and I began to write songs and when several talent shows with my step brother. Things did not work out in the end so I took a break to finish school. I started writing again when I was twenty years old, around that same time I started a production company and started making beats for local artist.
- Who were your first and strongest musical influences?
Now Hussein: Run DMC, LL Cool J, Tupac Shakur, Tim Dog, NWA, Slick Rick, KRS One.
- Which artists are you currently listening to? And is there anyone of these that you’d like to collaborate with?
Now Hussein: NAS, TI, Kanye west, Push T, Jay-Z. I would do a collaboration with anyone of these artist.
- What do think people should get out of listening to your music?
Now Hussein: I think people get the different struggles in live that we each go through to get to that next level.
- Do think that visual media and Youtube is an important tool for your music and music in general, and what is your latest video?
Now Hussein: I think that visual media is very important for my music and music over-all and we are currently writing the treatment for a video as we speak.
- Which do you ultimately prefer? Entertaining a live audience or creating songs in a studio setting?
Now Hussein: I love doing both I getting in the studio to work and create new things it is my natural element. But I also like to perform live exchange the energy with the people.
- Tell us something about your lyrics and music production on your releases. Which part of these processes do you handle, and which do you outsource generally?
Now Hussein: I do all my own writing, but when it comes to production it is a mixture other producers as well as myself.
8 What is the title of your latest music release and where can fans find it?
Now Hussein: The latest project that we put out is IM not dead it is a project we put out just to give something to the people and to build some momentum. And it can be found at https://soundcloud.com/now-hussien
https://youtu.be/EgN9dfMK_SE (Prize is you)Single
- Which ingredient do you think makes you special and unique as a performing artist in a genre thriving with newcomers?
Now Hussein: I think that the ingredients that makes my music unique is one I have and stay in my own lane. I never follow the crowd and to I use a mixture of emotion, logic and character to express myself when writing.
- If you were forced to choose only one, which emotion, more than any other drives you to be a part of this tough business?
Now Hussein: I would say anger
- Which aspect of being an independent artist and the music making process excites you most and which aspect discourages you most?
Now Hussein: The aspect of being and independent artist that excites me the most is being in the studio creating new music that sometimes helps to touch a person life
- What is the hardest thing you had to endure in your music or life so far?
Now Hussein: The hardest thing I had to endure in life and with my music when I became real sick and everyone turned on me and wouldn’t help me. But I am back now.
- Aside from the big financial budgets, is there anything at all that you envy about Major label artists?
Now Hussein: Nothing I have my freedom what else could I ask for.
- If you could change something about the music industry what would that be?
Now Hussein: I would not change a thing I just want to leave my footprints here when I am gone.
- If you had a choice to work with any successful producer (living or dead) who would that be and why?
Now Hussein: It would the RZA or Dr. Dre
- Do you consider Internet and all the social media websites, as fundamental to your career, and do you take an active part in its workings?
Now Hussein: Yes I do consider the internet and social media a fundamental part of my career and its workings.
- If someone has never heard your music, which keywords would you personally use to describe your overall sound and style?
Now Hussein: Real life music
- What goals do you have lined-up before the close of 2016?
Now Hussein: To drop my next project in October and to do a mini tour
- As you work your way through your career, which more than any other fires-up your imagination – A Grammy award, Platinum music sales or any other tangible milestone?
Now Hussein: Really to just connect with the people.
- What is the ONE thing you are NOT willing or prepared to do EVER, in your quest to achieve a successful musical career?
Now Hussein: Go against my own judgments or morality.