GIG Music Group is an American independent record label, which houses Hip-Hop, Latin Pop, R&B and Reggaeton artists. GIG was founded in 2010 and currently operates out of the Tampa Bay Area in Florida. GIG Music Group’s corporate team has been active in the music industry for over 26 years. The management’s successes are in the form of nominations and winning awards ranging from the Grammys, American Music Awards, Billboard Awards, Soultrain Awards, MTV Awards, and BET Awards by executives Maquet Robinson (Member of Special Generation) and Obie Bermudez. They have also been a part of Diamond and Double Platinum Plaques with extensive records sales, which number at 28 million as of 2015. GIG Music Group announced the debut release by Skully named “Fully Loaded” featuring Platinum Rapper N.O.R.E. on July 1st 2016.
- The first question comes naturally. How did the GIG Music Group come about and who are currently its major stakeholders?
GIG Music Group: GIG music group was founded by owner/partner Luis Nieves. He later brought in Partners Rene Carpena, Maquet Robinson & Obie Bermudez.
- What do you think has made and continues to make GIG Music Group unique in its endeavors as a music label?
GIG Music Group: The ability to create solid original music and to constantly reinvent ourselves whether it’s the way we reach out to the world through social media or marketing. Our records are unique because we focus on the elements in a song. The composition, the arrangement and all the little details.
- How does GIG Music Group recruit and sign-up artists and is it aimed only at specific genres and artists, or can music submission be made spontaneously?
GIG Music Group: Any submission can be made; we love music and all genres of music.
- In its long history what would what do you think of as the defining moments, or accolades for this label?
GIG Music Group: That would be watching the release of Skully’s Debut single Fully Loaded featuring N.O.R.E
- Over the years the GIG Music Group has obviously built up a network of contacts and relationships within the music industry as far as marketing and distribution is concerned? Are all the numbers and addresses still valid and operative options in today’s industry?
GIG Music Group: Of course, great question. Numbers and addresses are still valid, We have developed strong relationships over the years with companies, teams and individuals that support and appreciate hard work and perseverance we have and they also enjoy the quality of music we make.
- In your opinion, what have been the most noticeable, negative or positive changes in the industry during the GIG Music Group’s 26 year stay in the business so far?
GIG Music Group: There have been both positive and negative changes in the industry, like any other business. One positive change is that there are numerous outlets for new music and new artists. This in some cases can be negative because now there’s tons of music out there that both sound bad and good.
- If you could change one thing about the current music industry, what would that be?
GIG Music Group: One thing that we would change is making recording agreements fairer to both the artist and the label
- Is the GIG Music Group purely a bricks and mortar operation or are you actively involved with the internet and all the current technologies at hand?
GIG Music Group: We are actively involved in all facets of this business. We feel you can’t actually thrive in this business without having access to the internet, technology and social media..
- Which are the current key artists on the GIG Music label?
GIG Music Group: Our current and key artist right now is “Skully”
- Which single, EP or album release will GIG Music currently be promoting to the public?
GIG Music Group: Skully’s single Fully Loaded ft hip hop vereran N.O.R.E. was released July 1st 2016. It is currently available for purchase on iTunes, Google Play, Amazon Music, Billboard Music and many more online retailers. Fully Loaded can also be listened to on Spotify, Tidal, Shazam, Rhasphody, Deezer, iHeart Radio and much more. Look for it , Listen to it and Enjoy!
- As mentioned before, considering all the technology at hand concerning recording, promoting and selling music today, how do you feel that the GIG Music label, or any other independent music label for that matter, can make a difference and should be the artists choice when presenting music to the masses?
GIG Music Group: The label is the one to make sure that the level of quality is there from production to retail and should always be the one presenting music to the masses. Artists are emotional creatures so they might base their decisions on their emotions and how they feel. The record label looks at it as a business and sees what’s happening now in the industry. What sounds are hot now and build from there. With the artist’s input too, of course.
- What is usually the first quality you look for in a new artist besides a great song?
GIG Music Group: We actually look for the Triple Threat meaning you can perform, you have a look and you have a sound
- Could you run us through a typical process be for signing on a new artist to your label?
GIG Music Group: A typical process would be first to meet the artist. Because they could be a great artist, but have a bad attitude and in this business attitude means a lot. Next we would see what type of sound and Direction they’re headed. If they have no direction then we figure one out together. Then comes the signing process
- In what ways can artists and their expectations both be a blessing and a burden?
GIG Music Group: It goes back to the passion of the artist. If they know and understand the business most of the time it’s a blessing because you won’t have to deal with a lot of the stress an artist can take a label through. If they don’t understand the business get out headache medicine
- What would you say has been the keys to the label’s longevity and continued success?
GIG Music Group: Knowing when to reinvent yourself and staying on top of what’s hot in the industry right now as far as sound, music etc.
- I’m not sure if you already have one, but what would you use as a defining motto for the GIG Music Group?
GIG Music Group: “Timeless Music”
- What kind of strategy do you use to promote the music of your label? How do you breach the barrier of radio and press, to get to the people want to get to know the artists from your label?
GIG Music Group: The formula is top secret. But we do utilize all social media. We have the upmost respect for radio and the Press. So we will always make them privy to our artist and their music.
- What are the biggest challenges you think that GIG Music label will be addressing in the near future?
GIG Music Group: Hopefully and God willing that our challenges will be to figure out what to do with all the plaques lol!!
- Besides the massive financial budgets is there any other major label luxury that you desire as an independent group?
GIG Music Group: We would have to say quality artists that know what they want and know how to make a great record come together.
- Finally after 26 years in the business, do you think the best years of the label’s history in the music business have gone by, or do you believe that they are still to come?
GIG Music Group: We believe they are still to come. Although we’ve had some great years there are more on the horizon.