TalentDisplay blasted on to the music scene in 2006 with his self-titled multi-lingual single. Since then, he has worked with superstar artists Fredro Starr and Ca$his, collaborated on pop, rap and R & B tracks while working at Paramount and released several solo projects. In 2010, TalentDisplay released the Limited Edition Street Album “Between Scenarios.” On the heels of his success with “Between Scenarios,” TD released “Purple Yellow (Lakers’ Anthem)” a tribute to the L.A. Basketball team. The track became an instant classic and has been viewed by hundreds of thousands of people on YouTube.
TalentDisplay has an endless amount of skills in his arsenal and in 2013, he used his business ingenuity to open the independent music label Verbal Vision in Los Angeles, and has been doing countless of releases ever since. His latest personal release is the EP, “Different Place”, which also features his close friend, and rapper, SHI 360. The EP can be found on the BANDCAMP platform.
- When did you decide to release the EP “Different Place” and when did you start work on it?
TalentDisplay: I released “Different Place” middle of July and was working writing most of it when I travelled around the world for a few weeks earlier this year.
- Why the title “Different Place” and how long did it take to finish the EP?
TalentDisplay: The title came from the opening track. See, when I wrote it, I was reminiscing the time I was mentally at a “different place” late 2015, and I incorporated the fact I truly was at a “different place” physically at the time of my writing for this EP. I think having those facts intertwine were definitely the deciding factor to name the EP “Different Place”. The EP took a few months to make because of scheduling, and choosing the beats. It was written in a couple of weeks.
- You have some amazing beats on the EP. How did you choose the beats and producers?
TalentDisplay: That was probably the toughest process of creating this EP. Simply because I usually write to the beat itself. This time around, with this project, I wrote without any instrumentals involved and chose them later on. It was almost like a mini journal, the cadence and the vibe had to fit to the experience.
- The recording, mixing and mastering is absolutely pristine, matching top class major label productions. How did you handle these processes to get these results?
TalentDisplay: I have one of the most amazing engineers and dearest of friends handle all my work
- Which other performing artists are featured on the EP alongside you?
TalentDisplay: The only artist featured on this project is SHI 360. He recorded a verse in French for the track Paris which I felt had to be a part of this EP because when I travelled the tragedies occurred in Brussels, Belgium. SHI’s like my big brother and an amazing artist so it was truly an honor.
- Did you write all the material, or have you shared some duties with anybody else?
TalentDisplay: I absolutely wrote all of my work, I always do. The only part I have not written was SHI 360’s part as it was in French and my French is AWFUL! (Laughs)
- Which particular themes are the songs investigating? And is there a global concept behind “Different Place” or are the songs just loosely brought together into one collection?
TalentDisplay: I think the theme to this EP would be “exploring” and “finding one’s self”. I definitely think the concept could fit globally because I wrote it for the wandering soul, for those who got that wanderlust physically and mentally.
- These tracks are probably the catchiest you’ve ever done. Will you be releasing a single from the EP. If so, which will be the chosen song?
TalentDisplay: This EP has been received very well, the ladies love it and the fellas love their ladies loving it! I definitely incorporated more of a pop and mainstream feel while adding harmonies all throughout. “LA Be The City” is the next single, that’s the one right there.
- Out of the 5 songs recorded here, is there any one particular track that holds a special place in your heart, and why?
TalentDisplay: Definitely the title track. It’s just me exposing my soul and my true self which many have contacted me about and said to me “I FEEL YOU! EVERYTHING ON HERE, YOU TOUCHED ME WITH THAT” and I think that’s what making music is about. Rarely does such a feeling get matched, I love that feeling of being able to get to touch someone like that!
- Is the EP being released through your own Verbal Vision Label, and where will fans be able to find copies?
TalentDisplay: Yes, it is! The project is available all streaming outlets and on my bandcamp account where there’s a discount when you put the promo code “DISPLAYERS”. (talentdisplay.bandcamp.com)
- Will you be working on any videos to promote the songs on the EP?
TalentDisplay: Oh, no doubt! Myself and my dude DJ a/k/a The Free Pheno are currently trying to create a proper theme and shoot a clip for “LA Be The City” very soon!
- For anyone who has not yet heard this EP, which keywords would you use to describe it to them?
TalentDisplay: I would tell them to just “take this honest journey with me and explore your soul while closing your eyes” OR “Take a long drive down an open road with this EP”. Yea, that’s how I’d describe it, for sure.
- Would you regard this as your best work yet? And where do you think you’ve improved your craft the most in regards to your previous releases?
TalentDisplay: I think it’s my most different work yet, no doubt. The recording is some of its finest, but I feel my project “Loyalty Is Everything” is right up there with this one for the most part. I’ve improved because this is the first project I refused to settle. On my project LIE, I settled and let something not be as pristine as they are on this project. I think being as meticulous as I now am is the biggest improvement. Also not giving this EP for free; it makes people appreciate and truly value my work far more.
- No doubt, the songs on “Different Place” are all radio-ready. Would you be making any attempt to get any songs on mainstream FM radio?
TalentDisplay: I will be doing so with “LA Be The City”, especially if I can get this remix with specific features I want done.
- You thank your “DISPLAYERS” all the time. What is a “DISPLAYER” to you?
TalentDisplay: A ‘DISPLAYER” to me is someone who supports my work and “displays” that love without any hate, trying to uplift themselves and those around them at all times. It’s the type of harmony and energy I always want to be surrounded by and my DISPLAYERS make sure it’s done.
LOVE MY DISPLAYERS!
- The obvious final question is; after this almost perfectly epic release, where does TalentDisplay and Verbal Vision go to from here?
TalentDisplay: Hopefully, to the top of the world as I go around it. Above the clouds, eye level with the skies and stars. That’s that “Different Place” I am striving for.